Wednesday, March 21, 2007

It's Bed Time!

Since I started working full time last week, Cody and I have started implementing a bed time routine with Riley. Riley has been a great sleeper from day one and we've never had any problems with him falling asleep. But establishing and maintaining good sleep habits now will benefit us all in the long run when he gets a little older and decides it's way more fun to stay awake and play than to go to sleep! So the routine starts with a bath...I know babies this young don't really need a bath every single day since they aren't mobile but Riley does! He's a "hot" sleeper and sweats sometimes when he sleeps. Also, I feel like he's grimy after being at daycare all day and I figure taking a bath at night will wash away the germs he's picked up and maybe help him stay healthy. He didn't really like bath time at first but seems to look forward to it now. After bath time, we put him in his jammies and one of us gets to give him what we call his "dream bottle." It's his last bottle before he goes to sleep and usually happens between 10 and 11PM. After his dream bottle (and burps), we read him a couple of bed time stories. Favorites right now include Good Night Moon, Good Night Gorilla, and Guess How Much I Love You. Riley really enjoys story time...I'm hoping he's like mommy and enjoys reading when he gets older. Here are some pictures of Cody and I reading to our little Riley. I always look forward to when it's my turn to give him his dream bottle and read him a story...we share so I get to do it every other night.
After story time, it's bed time! Today is Riley's 2 month birthday and he's still sleeping in a bassinet in our room. Cody has suggested moving him to his crib but I don't want to let go just yet. I figure in a few more weeks he'll be sleeping about 8 hours straight and we won't have to get up at all during the night so we can move him to his crib then. But for now, I'm going to enjoy having my little man sleeping right next to me...can you say Mama's Boy?! He better be :)

No comments: