Riley got his first major goose egg last night -- the first of many, I'm sure. Especially with his fearless but klutzy nature (that's from Daddy, of course!). He was cruising around the fireplace, tripped, and smacked his head on the side of the crown molding. It looked pretty gross right after it happened because it swelled up so much. Cody kept saying it looked like an alien was about to bust out of his head...nice. This picture does not do it justice but you can kind of get the idea:
Later that night we gave the cousins a bath and the swelling had gone down but the bruise was starting to show:
And today the swelling is gone but the bruise will remain for the next few days, I'm sure.
It's pretty rough watching your little one in pain and not being able to do much about it. On a brighter note, Riley has been attempting a few tentative steps on his own. He started a couple of days ago with a couple of steps here, a couple there without holding onto anything. This morning he took five steps on his own and seemed quite surprised that he could do it without holding on to anything! He still prefers crawling since he's so good at it and can get to places rather quickly. But he'll eventually figure out that walking means he can run and then it's all over for me. I better get the boo boo bunny ready for those goose eggs and busted lips that are sure to follow! One other thing Riley just learned today -- how to drink out of a straw. We've been letting him try it at restaurants and today he finally grasped the concept and was able to drink out of a regular kids cup with a bendy straw instead of a sippy cup. That will make things much easier for Cody and I since we won't have to constantly remember to throw the sippy cup in the diaper bag before we leave.
It's pretty rough watching your little one in pain and not being able to do much about it. On a brighter note, Riley has been attempting a few tentative steps on his own. He started a couple of days ago with a couple of steps here, a couple there without holding onto anything. This morning he took five steps on his own and seemed quite surprised that he could do it without holding on to anything! He still prefers crawling since he's so good at it and can get to places rather quickly. But he'll eventually figure out that walking means he can run and then it's all over for me. I better get the boo boo bunny ready for those goose eggs and busted lips that are sure to follow! One other thing Riley just learned today -- how to drink out of a straw. We've been letting him try it at restaurants and today he finally grasped the concept and was able to drink out of a regular kids cup with a bendy straw instead of a sippy cup. That will make things much easier for Cody and I since we won't have to constantly remember to throw the sippy cup in the diaper bag before we leave.
Wow, lots of changes happening recently...Riley's coming up on his first birthday in just a few weeks. I can't believe it! It's a little sad, but I'm happy he's moving on to a little more independence. Unfortunately we're at a little awkward stage right now where Riley wants to be independent but still doesn't understand simple commands like "No." I like him to explore but he tends to go for things that are unsafe. When I say, "Riley, no!" in a stern voice, his reaction right now is to turn, laugh at me, and then continue doing what he was doing. Hmmm, not exactly the reaction I was hoping for. But on the bright side, he knows when I'm talking to him. Guess we need to work on the following simple instructions part next.
No comments:
Post a Comment